Saturday, June 25, 2011

summer HAZE

I was feeling nostalgic today so I finished a few craft projects I've been working on and did some photoshopping. This collage is supposed to express how I'm feeling about summer. Interpret it how you wish, but I was going for childhood nostalgia girly vibes mixed with the idea of who I am now, who classic movies have told me I should be and of the unknown. I also just really liked the idea of dolphins in space breaching over the desert and Hal Hefner and 1950s cheerleaders shooting a pastel prism out of their eyes.
I don't know if anybody else remembers these, but I love those notebooks that had dolphins and whales swimming through space. I wish I still had all my old notebooks now.
 Here are some of the things I've been working on. I made this necklace a few months ago out of a Zulu-inspired beading book I got from the library. The pins are papermache and acrylic paint, but I still have to seal them with Mod Podge. I made these for nostalgic reasons too. I wanted to make things I could wear that were some how related to my childhood. The bike is roughly the one I had when I was seven and the abandoned church (it's my banner, too) is one that we drive by every summer when we go to visit my grandparents.
 crappy close-ups
I was browsing through the Craft magazine website the other week and I found this post by Rachel Hobson on the pillow case dress DIY featured in Sassy Magazine. I fell in love and am obsessing over making one.
The one on the left is the instructions from Sassy, but Rachel suggests you cut it differently (her instructions on the right). Either way, this is something I am going to try out.

I've also fallen in love with the Miu Miu detachable collars because they are just so gorgeous. I've seen Tavi's posts where she's wearing hers and it looks so awesome. Since I can't afford one, I'm working on making my own version, maybe in a Peter Pan style. Maybe with a Steve Buscemi à la Ghost World print... I'm dying to start working on it but my sleep reserves are fairly low ohlala.

2 comments:

  1. A Ghost World inspired collar sounds amazing! I can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm working on it and I'm crossing my fingers that it ends up alright:)

    ReplyDelete