Monday, September 3, 2012

School Schmool

Lately I've been really Daniel Clowes-ing out and just watching Ghost World and Art School Confidential over and over and re-reading Ghost World. Coincidentally or not, I am also starting art school tomorrow. Whoo, first year of university here I come and I thank the heavens and Gwen Stefani that I am not going back to highschool. All I can say is that I hope I have a better art school experience than Daniel Clowes seems to have had.

What I really like about Daniel Clowes work is how he taps into all the awful dark crap most movies and people pretend don't exist/ignore. I find his stuff painful to read and Terry Zwigoff's movie adaptations kind of hard to watch, but I still love them. It's very reassuring to know someone out there is as cynical as I am, but also to see how Daniel Clowes has obviously succeeded and made a living out of his art, past traumas aside. The art in both of the movies drives me insane because it's so good. I absolutely love Daniel Clowes style and Enid's sketchbook is like the total embodiment of perfection. I recently got a haircut so my hair kind of looks a bit like Audrey's and then a bit like Enid's when I blow dry it. I also dyed bits of it purple on a whim yesterday. I was at my friends house yesterday with a bunch of people, eating pizza one minute and then the next, there was bleach and Punky Colors all over da place.

I have to go to an orientation for university tomorrow, which I don't really want to go to because I hate all those icebreaker games and always end up looking painfully awkward, but whatevs, I gotta go. I've put together my best tough girl I-don't-give-a-shit-about-what-you-think outfit for tomorrow though, so I'm a bit excited.
Basically everything is thrifted and my rings are from a small independent bookstore, but I was so excited when I found them! I hope all you guys out there heading back to school have a great first day! And here's hoping I won't fall into the category of "self-obsessed neurotic art girl"!

6 comments:

  1. I am a bit of a fan of Ghost World :) Especially the comic. Loving your outfit sweet x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge fan of ghost world!!!!! Ahh!! Nice shoes!

    Love, polly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. first day of schools tomorrow, and I should really be getting to bed. But i love the photos, ghost world is great and i really need to get around to watching art shcool confidential. i hear many things about it. i love the rings! i nice touch to your outfit :)

    Check me out!
    calurvillade.blogspot.com
    Paolina

    ReplyDelete
  4. its such a nice & Awesum blog provide info
    hope more people discover your blog because you really know what you’re talking about. Can’t wait to read more from you!
    for more plz visit
    debt management

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your outfit is just lovely! You're going to art school, that's really cool! I love Ghost World.
    http://simplebutchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your outfit is awesome! And I am in love with this Raptor tee :))

    birdiewearsatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete